screw machine operator
Operate multi-spindle lathe type screw machines equipped with automatic indexing and feeding mechanisms to machine metal bar stock by performing the following:
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Reads blueprint or job order for product specifications such as dimensions, tolerances, number of parts to be machined, and tooling instructions such as cutting speeds, feed rates, depth of cuts, and cutting tools to be used.
- Positions and secures specified collets, bushings, and stock pushers onto stock feeding mechanism and loads bar stock into feeding mechanism.
- Installs and adjusts specified cams, gears and stops to control stock and tool movements at each station.
- Positions and secures tools in tool holders.
- Sets cutting speeds and feed rates.
- Moves controls to cycle machine through settings, stopping machine and adjusting tool positions and machine controls to allow for operating factors such as timing, clearance between moving parts, and chip removal.
- Starts machine, observes operation, and inspects first run and sample workpiece to ensure machining conforms to specifications.
- Replaces worn tools.
- Operates bench grinder to sharpen tools.
- Performs on-the-job training for operators as needed.
EDUCATION, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Primarily on-the-job training to include- tool sharpening, speeds and feeds, machine maintenance, and blueprint reading. MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide all units of measure. Ability to perform the four operations with common and decimal fractions. Ability to apply principles of shop math to metalworking industry.